Skyland Community Church is a member church of the United Church of Christ (UCC), a progressive Christian denomination. The UCC is a non-creedal church, which means that members do not have to profess a specific set of beliefs. Like the UCC, we view the Apostle’s Creed, Nicene Creed, and other important statements as important historical testimonies of faith, not tests of faith.
We are an Open and Affirming Congregation. Click here to see our Open and Affirming statement.
Most of us agree about the following:
- God is a creative and loving Spirit who is present in all places and times.
- Human beings are created in God’s image and may know God through the mind, heart and the practice of loving kindness.
- Our worship services are based on a passage from the Bible. We read the Bible to discern and follow the loving and healing word of God and apply it to our daily lives.
- Jesus was a teacher, preacher and healer whose presence continues to live within and among us. His way of life and love as recorded in scripture and his living presence are the central truths which inspire our spiritual community.
- We value our children and work to provide them with opportunities to grow in spiritual community.
- We value other religious traditions and respect their faith and practice.